Teak is a lightweight tropical hardwood commonly available across the South Asian region. This portable and elegant material is very popular for making furniture as it is classy and easy to maintain. Teak is adaptable and durable and thus it is ideal for both indoor and outdoor furniture. Teak furniture is a highly preferred item in households that have a vintage theme. However, it requires periodic maintenance to retain its shine.
Here are some cleaning and maintenance tips for teak furniture:
- Washing: There are specific teak wood cleaners available in the market. You just need to mix them with water and put on a clean cotton cloth to wipe off the dirt for the furniture. This teak cleaner can also be made at home by mixing any laundry or dish detergent with water and used to clear away dust.
- Sanding: If the furniture has some stubborn or heavily ingrained stains, sanding with fine sandpaper may help in removing them. Make sure this sanding is done in the direction of the teak grains. After this process, one may choose to re-oil the furniture or leave it in its natural color.
- Sealing: If the furniture needs to be kept in its original golden-brown color tone, it should be coated with a layer of sealant. Using a sealant with a UV protection material is ideal for outdoor furniture items as it helps to keep the colors intact even with exposure to sunlight and rain. Sealing may be done once every two to three years.
- Oiling: The reason why teak furniture is able to last for so many years is the natural oil and wax present in its texture. If your furniture is about five years old, you must use a teak oil to give it a fresh and new look. One may apply one or two coats, as required by the furniture’s appearance.
- Avoid Harsh Handling: Teak furniture may require little maintenance but using harsh chemicals or steel wool sponges can damage its grains and make them rough. Always use cotton cloths or soft bristle brushes while applying teak-friendly cleaners.
The above-mentioned tips can enhance the look of your furniture while keeping it intact. Regular cleaning and maintenance can increase the durability and shine of your teak furniture.