Living room is a place where we entertain our guests, host parties or enjoy a movie with our friends and family. Thus, it becomes highly important to make your living area inviting and comfortable. Decorating it in a right way will bring positive vibe so that you can unwind, rest and feel happy each day.
With the help of below-stated points, you can make your living room more entertaining and inviting.
Create A Focal Point
TV is a common focal point in most of the living rooms. It acts like a distraction and takes away the chance of striking a valuable conversation. Conceal your television by placing it inside a cabinet or move it to another room. Add a focal point with a fireplace, painting or mural. This will not only look good but will also add colors and uniqueness to your living area.
Add Comfortable Furniture And Arrange Them Wisely
The first step is to choose comfortable sofa, chairs and recliners. You can also add colorful or patterned pillows for additional comfort and style. The second step is to arrange the furniture wisely. Too much furniture will make even a large living room appear small and cramped. Remove extra furniture so that there is enough space to move around. The size of the room and furniture should also be taken into consideration.
Add Natural Beauty With Plants And Fresh Flowers
Give your living room a touch of natural beauty by adding plants and flowers. This will not only enhance the appearance of the room but will also add freshness and clean air. Opt for plants like Bamboo, Palm, Money plant, Massangeana cane, Anthuriums etc and place them on center table, near the sofa or on shelves. You can also use fresh flowers like lily, roses, orchids and carnations to add color and scent to your living room.
Make Sure There Is Adequate Light In The Room
Adequate lighting is essential for any room in your house as it has mood enhancing values. Large windows allow maximum light during day time but if you have smaller ones, place mirrors on the opposite walls. It will help in reflecting the light around the room and make it brighter. Opt for a variety of lamps and chandeliers to properly light up your living room at night. You can make use of accent lighting to highlight the important feature or focal point of your living room. String lights can be used on window or door frames.
Keep The Room Clean And Tidy
One of the most easiest and pocket-friendly ways of making your living room inviting is by removing clutter. Do not keep anything in the living room that you do not use. If you have a variety of room decor items, it is advisable to use them accordingly rather than displaying them all at once. Opt for shelves or storage furniture to keep your books, important papers, and decorative piece.
Experiment With Paints
Colors play an important role in setting the mode of a room. Dark colors add warmth whereas lighter ones can be used to create an illusion of space. For living room, you can use neutral colors such as blues, grays, whites and yellows. You can also opt for darker shades but make sure that they don’t mismatch. Creating a harmony among different colors is essential.
With above-mentioned points, you can make your living room comfortable and inviting. A few changes will work like a magic and create a place where everyone would love to be.
Purchasing kids furniture is not an easy task. As a responsible parent, there are a lot of things that needs to be kept in mind so that whatever piece of furniture you buy for kids’ room should be safe and vibrant looking. Below stated tips will definitely guide you in buying the right kids’ furniture.
Take Measurements Of The Room Before Purchasing Furniture
This rule must be followed when you are buying furniture for kids’ room because they need a lot of space. Taking measurements will help you in buying the right size of furniture. Make sure you do not overcrowd the room.
Selecting The Right Bed
Bed is the key furniture in a bedroom. There are a variety of beds available for kids of different age groups. The most common bedroom furniture is a twin bed. You can opt for bunk beds if there is less space available in kids’ bedroom. It will be easier for you to arrange rest of the furniture.
Keep Safety Of Kids In Mind
Kids’ room is the place where children will be most of the time doing a variety of things. Before you buy and arrange any furniture in kids’ room, it is necessary to think about their safety first. Look out of any sharp corners in heavy furniture like bed, table etc. Even after furnishing the room make sure to check the furniture on regular basis for anything that might hurt your kids.
Pay Attention On The Material
Kids’ furniture goes through a lot of abuse. It should be made of a material that will stand strong for a long period of time. A responsible parent will buy a furniture that is durable. It should be strong and stable enough to take the weight of a kid.
Shop for Storage Space
Kids have a lot of clothes, toys, books etc. To keep their room clean and tidy it is essential to have enough storage space. You can opt for loft beds that offers built in storage space. With a bed like this it will be easier to manage their things in a small room. You can buy a dresser or a chest of drawers for rooms with extra space. There are plenty of designs and styles available in the market to choose from.
Buy Comfortable Seating
We often overlook chairs or seating when furnishing a bedroom. It should be comfortable and improve posture. You can opt for benches or stools instead of chairs. This is a must have to create a social space in kids’ room.
Take the right measurements and keep in mind the safety of kids before buying furniture for their room. These tips will surely help you in furnishing kids’ bedroom in a right way.
The place devoted solely to hosting parties and feasting, the dining room is the part of the house which is exact opposite to the always bustling, multifunctional room like the kitchen. It may be very infrequently used but a house without a dining room looks empty .For people who love to adorn their dining rooms but struggle with the space issue, there can be a sigh of relief as there are various pieces of furniture in the market that can help store your things along with minimizing space.
Use A Buffet
A good answer to your storage problems would be a buffet which is basically a long surface with cabinets below for placing any food item or drink on it. It is basically a forerunner to the modern day kitchen cabinets. It continues to be a stylish yet functional addition to the living room .It is the most versatile piece of furniture which can be used for storing glassware, linens, china, candlesticks, extra salt and pepper shakers etc.
Try The Server
Servers tend to be smaller, more formal, and lighter in scale than buffets. They may have smooth gliding drawers or adjustable shelves to perfectly store everything from linens and cloth napkins, to cutlery and serving utensils. It is mostly used for conveniently holding food, serving dishes, or lighting devices .The word server basically comes from the fact that the people serving the food in a formal dining room are called servers.
Cabinet Is Good
A cabinet is an enclosure for drawers that is used to store things.it is the most commonly seen item of furniture in any living room as it offers a multitude of storage benefits right from storing your basic utensils to the most expensive piece of china material. Not only this, it can also help in storing many additional of utensils. It can be placed in any corner of your dining room and is a good storage option to be considered at a low price.
Opt For Hutch
Comprising a set of shelves or cabinets placed on top of a lower unit with a counter and either drawers or cabinets, a hutch can also be considered as a good storage option for your dining room. You can store a huge number of essential items of crockery like dining ware, linens etc. Many hutches in the recent decades come attached with mirrors to give the additional appearance of depth and to better display the fineries kept within, in a manner similar to a china cabinet.
Storage is a big issue, particularly for those people who have a small dining room. You may, however, consider using the following pieces of furniture to give a presentable look to the place and deal with the storage issue.
Shopping for a kid’s room can be a tedious task. There are plenty of options to recreate the entire look of your kid’s room. Make sure the furniture you are buying cater to the growing needs of your kids. It is essential to chalk out a budget and research thoroughly before making the final decision.
Listed below are few ideas that can be used to furnish your kid’s room without costing a fortune:
- Bunk beds: Bunk beds can be the best option if space is a constraint in your kid’s room. You can choose from a wide range of beds according to your requirements. Futon bunk beds can improve the functionality of your room by providing additional seating area. You can use a loft bed if you need extra space to keep a desk or a small cabinet.
- Nightstands: Make sure you choose the nightstand matching the décor and color theme of your kid’s room. If you want to provide a traditional look you can buy wooden nightstands. For an elegant and modern appeal, metal night stands can be the perfect choice. The material you choose should be durable.
- Dressers: If you are looking to buy dresser with mirror, make sure its height is in accordance with that of your kid. It should be easily accessible and functional for your child. Dressers are available in a wide range of materials and styles. You can choose the one that is apt for your kid.
- Storage furniture: You can keep your kid’s room organized by buying storage furniture. You can buy bookcases to make a small library. Cabinets with drawers or shelves can be chosen to keep clothes, toys and other items of daily use. Make sure you scrutinize your kid’s requirements and buy furniture accordingly.
- Bedding and rugs: You can add charm to your kid’s room by choosing appropriate bedding and rug. To make a visual statement, you can buy beddings in floral designs and vibrant colors. This can help in creating playful environment for kids.
- Other accessories: You can accessorize your kid’s room by purchasing appealing framed art. You can choose from a huge selection of wall stickers and decals. Canvas art can also be a good option to accentuate the look of the room. You can also buy table and nightstands to brighten the room.
Wooden furniture can not only improve the visual appearance but also add functionality to your home. It is available in a broad spectrum of colors, designs and styles, making it difficult for you to choose the right one. Make sure you research thoroughly before making the final decision. You can even visit the furniture stores in Killeen or seek recommendations from your family or friends for the latest furniture trends.
Keep the following things in mind while buying wooden furniture for your home:
- Scrutinize your requirements: You should have a clear idea whether you are buying furniture for your living room, dining room or bedroom. Also make sure the furniture you choose goes well with the rest of the décor of the home. Chalking out a budget may also help to narrow down your options and make the right decision.
- Measure the space: Make sure you accurately measure the dimensions of the area where furniture is to be kept. Also take measurements of the furniture you plan to buy. This will ascertain that it will fit perfectly and the space will be effectively utilized.
- Look for the type of wood: The furniture is available in various types of wood and you need to choose the one according to your preferences. Teak can be the best option for outdoor furniture as it is rot resistant. If you are looking for more durability, you can buy furniture made of oak. Pinewood can be chosen to provide a rustic appearance to your home. It is less expensive and is resistant to swelling as well as shrinking.
- Check the quality: It is essential to check the durability and quality of the wood before buying furniture for your home. If you are buying wooden cabinets or desk, make sure the drawers function smoothly. Also, check the stability of the furniture you choose to buy.
- Type of finish: Wooden furniture with an appropriate finish can improve the aesthetic appeal of your home. You can choose the wood with a finish of oil or wax which makes it look shinier. If you are looking for durability, wooden furniture with lacquer or varnish finish is a good option.
If you are looking to buy wooden furniture, you can follow these tips to make your shopping experience better. Make sure you look after your wooden furniture properly to maintain its shine and strength for many years.
An ottoman is primarily designed to be used as a footrest or footstool. Placed along the chair or sectional sofa, it allows you to rest your legs and relax. You can even create a comfy study area with a chair and ottoman.
However, ottomans have come a long way when we look up to their uses. Available in a wide range of sizes, styles and colors, they are not just a piece of furniture to be used as a footstool. They can be used in various other ways, few of which have been listed below:
If you are looking for a small stool or couch that does not take up much space, an ottoman comes can be the right choice. You just need to place it against a wall and add a few cushions. This is a perfect way to use an ottoman as an alternative to a couch.
Extra seat in the room
Ottomans can also be used to add seating space in your living room or dining area when the sofa/chairs have been occupied by the guests. You can even use it as a day bed by placing against a sectional sofa.
An ottoman eliminates the need of a lounger in the room. A long futon- like ottoman can act as a lounger for you to rest comfortably. It serves as a perfect alternative when you wish to relax or watch a movie.
Ottomans are a stylish replacement for coffee tables. Their height and shape make them a perfect option to serve drinks to your guests. You can even use it like a regular table to hold magazines, vases and books. If you have a low height ottoman, you can use it as an end table or side table for your bed.
The hollow space underneath the ottoman seat can be used to store books, electronic accessories, extra blankets, kids’ toys etc. You can buy an ottoman with a hinged or removable top. The storage space can also be in the form of an open shelf or hollow box.
Decorative piece of furniture
Apart from being functional, ottomans are great piece to create a point of emphasis. An ottoman in rich color and texture, placed in a room adds a quotient of extravagance. Ottomans with upholstered top serve as a decorative furniture item for your living room decor.
The above mentioned uses will help you put your ottoman to the right use.
Space is always a constraint in small bedrooms. After placing the necessary furniture such as a bed, cupboard, dresser etc., it becomes quite difficult to find enough storage space for the daily essentials. However, by using some innovative ideas and making smart choices when buying furniture, you can definitely make the most out of the available space in your bedroom.
Here are some space saving furniture ideas that will help you to keep all your necessary items without making the room look congested.
- Shelves on Free Walls: The free wall of the room can be used for installing built-in shelves. You can keep your books, photo frames and lot of other stuff in these shelves. You can create different sections in the shelves to keep all the items in an organized manner.
- Shelves behind the Bed: Shelves starting from the headboard to the ceiling can be a great way to organize all your valuable items like books and laptop. You can even display a beautiful scenery to accentuate the look of the shelves. The best thing is that these shelves take less space to accommodate a plethora of items.
- Beds with Storage: When buying a bed, make sure you go for the one that has storage space underneath. These can store large items and do not take any extra space in your room. The storage space can be used to keep quilts, clothes and other items that are not used in routine.
- Installing New Floor: To take the full advantage of the high ceiling and to increase the sleeping space, you can make a sleeping platform at the corner. Install a ladder to climb up to bed. Make sure that the ladder and new sleeping space is strong enough. The advantage of installing a new floor for sleepover is that siblings sharing same room will have their privacy maintained.
- Dressing Table: A dressing table is another beautiful way to store your items. You can buy a wall mounted dressing table to avoid taking up the valuable floor space. If you go for a floor mount dresser, make sure you choose the one that comes with many drawers and shelves to keep your cosmetics, keys, documents and other important stuff.
For efficiently utilizing the space in your bedroom, you need to be more creative. Ottomans, benches and other seating furniture can also be used to add to the seating area while getting extra storage space.
Your living room is probably the most used area in the house where you sit together with the family and relax. Thus, you should select your living room furniture cautiously that lives up to your requirements. By having quality furniture, you can create a welcoming and pleasant ambience. Here are some tips on choosing sofas and loveseats for your living space.
- Measure the space: It is essential to plan and measure the living space where you want to keep your sofa or loveseat. You should choose the style and design of furniture according to the décor of the room. Checking out some online stores or furniture shops will help you know what is in trend these days. Make sure you measure the doorways, hallways and staircase to ensure that sofa and loveseat that you select is easy to move in.
- Consider scale: While looking for a loveseat or sofa, keep in mind the size of the room and existing furniture. Based on this, evaluate if the furniture you are buying will blend in with the rest of the items. Make a floor plan to know how your new furniture will fit in the space. Ensure that there is sufficient space around the sofa for easy movement. Avoid buying an oversized sofa/loveseat for a small room, as it will make the place look cramped and full.
- Choose neutral and classic shades: It is worth considering whether the color of the furniture will look appealing in four to five years. Some shades soon grow out of trend, so make sure you invest in furniture in a classic and neutral shade. You can add bright accessories to provide good visual appeal to the living room.
- Upholstery fabric: Choose fabric depending upon the furniture use and durability of the material. Invest in low-maintenance fabric if you have kids and pets at home. You can go for silk, rayon, wool, cotton and linen; however, they need regular maintenance. It is good to invest in blends of natural and synthetic fibers, as they are strong, stain-resistant and long-lasting.
Besides the aesthetic appeal of the loveseat or sofa, it is crucial that you choose furniture that is comfortable.
Your living room is a reflection of your personality and style, so it is essential that you furnish it accordingly. By removing clutter and keeping things organized, you can make your living room look more spacious and attractive. For this, you can consider buying efficiently designed storage furniture, which can be used to tuck away the things that you do not use in routine. Here are some of the storage furniture ideas for your living room:
- Entertainment unit: An aesthetically designed entertainment unit can be used to store your TV, DVD player and other media devices. These units often have shelves and drawers where you can keep other essential items such as remotes, cables, speakers etc. which helps you keep your living room clutter free and organized.
- Wall mounted shelves: The best way to save space and have enough storage space is having wall-mounted shelves. You can use these shelves for displaying your collection of books, magazines, newspapers, CDs etc. A wall mounted shelf helps you to keep your stuff organized and easily accessible.
- Corner pieces: If there is any unused corner in your living room, make the best use of the space by placing corner shelves or end-tables. You can keep some decoration items, sculptures, photo frames, flower vases and other art pieces in the corner space.
- Coffee tables with shelves: To capitalize on the space available in your living area, consider having a coffee table that has one or two shelves underneath. Some coffee tables also have sliding tops with space underneath where you can store a number of things. You can keep your newspapers or magazines on the shelves below the tabletop.
- Chest of drawers: Another piece of furniture that is great for living room is a chest of drawers. It can be placed anywhere and helps you keep the room clutter free. Besides storage space in the form of drawers and shelves, its top can also be used to place decorative items.
- Consoles with drawers: Consoles with drawers can act as a perfect storage solution for your living room. You can keep your keys, important papers and other essential items in the drawers. This will give a clean look to your room.
- Ottomans: An ottoman is the best addition to any living room. It not only offers extra space to sit or rest the foot, but also offers ample storage space. You can keep books, toys and various other things in the ottoman.
- Cabinets: A variety of open and closed cabinets is available in different sizes as well as styles, which can be placed anywhere according to your requirements. These cabinets have shelves or drawers to keep your stuff organized.
Using these storage furniture ideas, you can aesthetically decorate your living room and enhance the storage space.