Your living room is probably the most used area in the house where you sit together with the family and relax. Thus, you should select your living room furniture cautiously that lives up to your requirements. By having quality furniture, you can create a welcoming and pleasant ambience. Here are some tips on choosing sofas and loveseats for your living space.
- Measure the space: It is essential to plan and measure the living space where you want to keep your sofa or loveseat. You should choose the style and design of furniture according to the décor of the room. Checking out some online stores or furniture shops will help you know what is in trend these days. Make sure you measure the doorways, hallways and staircase to ensure that sofa and loveseat that you select is easy to move in.
- Consider scale: While looking for a loveseat or sofa, keep in mind the size of the room and existing furniture. Based on this, evaluate if the furniture you are buying will blend in with the rest of the items. Make a floor plan to know how your new furniture will fit in the space. Ensure that there is sufficient space around the sofa for easy movement. Avoid buying an oversized sofa/loveseat for a small room, as it will make the place look cramped and full.
- Choose neutral and classic shades: It is worth considering whether the color of the furniture will look appealing in four to five years. Some shades soon grow out of trend, so make sure you invest in furniture in a classic and neutral shade. You can add bright accessories to provide good visual appeal to the living room.
- Upholstery fabric: Choose fabric depending upon the furniture use and durability of the material. Invest in low-maintenance fabric if you have kids and pets at home. You can go for silk, rayon, wool, cotton and linen; however, they need regular maintenance. It is good to invest in blends of natural and synthetic fibers, as they are strong, stain-resistant and long-lasting.
Besides the aesthetic appeal of the loveseat or sofa, it is crucial that you choose furniture that is comfortable.
Your living room is a reflection of your personality and style, so it is essential that you furnish it accordingly. By removing clutter and keeping things organized, you can make your living room look more spacious and attractive. For this, you can consider buying efficiently designed storage furniture, which can be used to tuck away the things that you do not use in routine. Here are some of the storage furniture ideas for your living room:
- Entertainment unit: An aesthetically designed entertainment unit can be used to store your TV, DVD player and other media devices. These units often have shelves and drawers where you can keep other essential items such as remotes, cables, speakers etc. which helps you keep your living room clutter free and organized.
- Wall mounted shelves: The best way to save space and have enough storage space is having wall-mounted shelves. You can use these shelves for displaying your collection of books, magazines, newspapers, CDs etc. A wall mounted shelf helps you to keep your stuff organized and easily accessible.
- Corner pieces: If there is any unused corner in your living room, make the best use of the space by placing corner shelves or end-tables. You can keep some decoration items, sculptures, photo frames, flower vases and other art pieces in the corner space.
- Coffee tables with shelves: To capitalize on the space available in your living area, consider having a coffee table that has one or two shelves underneath. Some coffee tables also have sliding tops with space underneath where you can store a number of things. You can keep your newspapers or magazines on the shelves below the tabletop.
- Chest of drawers: Another piece of furniture that is great for living room is a chest of drawers. It can be placed anywhere and helps you keep the room clutter free. Besides storage space in the form of drawers and shelves, its top can also be used to place decorative items.
- Consoles with drawers: Consoles with drawers can act as a perfect storage solution for your living room. You can keep your keys, important papers and other essential items in the drawers. This will give a clean look to your room.
- Ottomans: An ottoman is the best addition to any living room. It not only offers extra space to sit or rest the foot, but also offers ample storage space. You can keep books, toys and various other things in the ottoman.
- Cabinets: A variety of open and closed cabinets is available in different sizes as well as styles, which can be placed anywhere according to your requirements. These cabinets have shelves or drawers to keep your stuff organized.
Using these storage furniture ideas, you can aesthetically decorate your living room and enhance the storage space.
Sleeper sofas can be a great option if one is looking for space saving furniture options. They can help in providing the guests with a bed to sleep in, while not having to spare an entire room as a guest room. They can also assist in saving the expense of both, a bed and a sofa, and fulfill both the needs at once. A sleeper sofa is available in a number of types and styles. There are a number of things which must be considered while buying a sleeper sofa. Some of them are listed below.
- Choose a type: There are a number of sleeper sofas available which differ in looks as well as the comfort they provide. There are sleeper sectionals, which provide a large area to sleep and chair sleepers, which offer a more limited zone to confide. One may also choose a futon or a sofa bed. They are foldable pieces of furniture which can be expanded into a bed in the night and used as sofas in the day time.
- Measure: Sleeper sofas are available in a variety of sizes. They should be bought carefully after measuring the available space in the room. A sofa can make the room look congested and cluttered, if it is bigger than the required size. On the other hand, it may not fulfil the requirements if bought in a smaller size. Therefore it is highly advised to measure the available space and buy the sleeper sofa in accordance to it.
- Check the mechanism: The ease with which the sofa turns into a bed plays a crucial role. Some of the sleeper sofas can expand with a simple push on the back, while some may need a great amount of effort. Before buying a sleeper sofa, it is suggested to make sure that it has an effortless opening and closing mechanism which does not involve any unpleasant sounds.
- Consider the weight: Sleeper sofas come in a variety of sizes and their weight increases with the quality of material that they are built of. It is important to make sure that the weight of the sofa is manageable, so that it can be moved from one place to another with ease.
- Pick a mattress: Mattresses are an important part of a sleeper sofa, as they can affect the amount of comfort that is provided. There are a few types of mattresses one can choose from, like innerspring mattress, air-coil mattress or a memory foam mattress. They have distinct features and provide different kinds of ease to the user. Make sure the mattress is comfortable and relaxing.
These were some of the points one must consider before buying a sofa sleeper. Visit your nearest furniture store to browse through the sleeper sofas and pick one according to your requirements.
Living room is the most important part of a house where you tend to spend a substantial amount of time with your family and to welcome guests. Thus living room should be a place in house that reflects your style and is comfortable at the same time. It should be welcoming, warm, classy and clutter free. Hence it is imperative to have proper storage furniture to help with organizing and proper storage.
Here are some storage furniture ideas for your living room:
Bookcases are very helpful in storing magazines, books, newspapers and articles in a presentable form . They are available in wooden or metallic and impart a antique or contemporary look to the living room, depending upon the choice of material and the overall decor.
Cabinets and Sideboards
These can be another viable option for keeping books, show pieces and photographs. A large variety of cabinets and sideboards are available in furniture stores including wooden cabinets with glass-doors cabinets, colonial styled cabinets with curvy edges and cabinets with extensive artwork. All these provide a different look to the living room and can be considered depending on your choice and style.
Storage Boxes and Baskets
These are another good option as you can use them for storage and also move them around easily. With varying designs and textures available in the market you can select them depending on your need and space available. Eco-friendly options are also available in the form of jute baskets and storage boxes.
Ottoman is a furniture item that comes in a wide variety of a padded, upholstered seat to being a wooden stool. They are provided with enough storage space and due to their varied designs they can be paired with any furniture. They can also act as foot stool when paired with an arm chair. Ottomans can be used as a coffee table and in some cases provide as an alternative to sofas.
They not only act as storage spaces but also take up very less space on the floor as they hang on the wall. The multi-utility wall shelves are available with hooks which can be used for hanging clothes, coats and keys. Wall shelves are available in wood and metal and can be installed very easily.
The range of storage options available in various furniture stores not only fulfills the purpose of storage but also add beauty to one’s home décor.