Wooden furniture can not only improve the visual appearance but also add functionality to your home. It is available in a broad spectrum of colors, designs and styles, making it difficult for you to choose the right one. Make sure you research thoroughly before making the final decision. You can even visit the furniture stores in Killeen or seek recommendations from your family or friends for the latest furniture trends.
Keep the following things in mind while buying wooden furniture for your home:
- Scrutinize your requirements: You should have a clear idea whether you are buying furniture for your living room, dining room or bedroom. Also make sure the furniture you choose goes well with the rest of the décor of the home. Chalking out a budget may also help to narrow down your options and make the right decision.
- Measure the space: Make sure you accurately measure the dimensions of the area where furniture is to be kept. Also take measurements of the furniture you plan to buy. This will ascertain that it will fit perfectly and the space will be effectively utilized.
- Look for the type of wood: The furniture is available in various types of wood and you need to choose the one according to your preferences. Teak can be the best option for outdoor furniture as it is rot resistant. If you are looking for more durability, you can buy furniture made of oak. Pinewood can be chosen to provide a rustic appearance to your home. It is less expensive and is resistant to swelling as well as shrinking.
- Check the quality: It is essential to check the durability and quality of the wood before buying furniture for your home. If you are buying wooden cabinets or desk, make sure the drawers function smoothly. Also, check the stability of the furniture you choose to buy.
- Type of finish: Wooden furniture with an appropriate finish can improve the aesthetic appeal of your home. You can choose the wood with a finish of oil or wax which makes it look shinier. If you are looking for durability, wooden furniture with lacquer or varnish finish is a good option.
If you are looking to buy wooden furniture, you can follow these tips to make your shopping experience better. Make sure you look after your wooden furniture properly to maintain its shine and strength for many years.
An investment in furniture can last for generations provided you take proper care. Wood furniture comes with a big list of do’s and don’ts, which is a continuous process. The major factor that determines the custom wood furniture care and cleaning is the type of finish on the wood and the type of wood. Here are a few tips for everyday wood care that may help in keeping your furniture look its best:
- Dusting: You should regularly dust the furniture, as frequent dusting tends to reduce the airborne deposits, which make up a film layer on the furniture and can cause scratches the surface. For dusting use classic feather duster or treated cloths, soft and lint free cloths or terry towels. Always try to dust in the direction of the grains as it would help in holding distinctive patterns in the wood.
- Cleaning: Using sprays to clean the furniture are also very helpful in maintaining it for a longer period. However some precautions should be kept in mind while doing so. You should never use all-purpose cleaning sprays for the furniture as it may be harsh for some of the finishes. In case of any sticky spot, dip a cloth in mild soap dissolved in water to wipe the area. Rinse it and dry with a clean cloth immediately.
- Storage: The wooden furniture can easily be damaged due to humidity. Therefore, it is advisable to not to place it in an area with too much or too little humidity. If you are planning to store your furniture in the basement area, then you should get a dehumidifier.
If you are aware of the type of finish on your wood furniture, follow the appropriate procedure for its maintenance. Here are some of the common types of wood finishing and the methods to maintain them:
- Paint: For finishes with paints use solution of mild, non- abrasive detergent with warm water. You should always wring the cloth to nearly dry and work on small sections. Do not forget to rinse it with clear water and dry the surface after cleaning. To touch up the painted surface use a matching paint.
- Varnish: For varnished finishes use a damp dust regularly. The tough spots should be treated with diluted liquid solutions. While polishing such furniture use a chamois leather cloth or spray polish with the help of a cloth.
- Wax: Never use detergents on the furniture with finish made of wax as it may make it look dull. You can use soapflake’s or buy a ready-mixed soapy wood cleaner from the market.